Minutes

Minutes April 2018

Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust

Monthly Meeting, The Supporters Bar, Ashton Gate, Bristol BS3 2EJ

Wednesday 4 April 2018, 7.30pm

                                        

 

Present

Board – Miles Hendy MH (chair), Mike Adams MA (minutes), Jon Darch JD, Marie Day MD, James Nicholls JN, Katrina Watts KW, Jon Watts JW

Members – John Croker, Diane Rowland DR, Wendy Rowland WR

Club – Matt Parsons MP (SLO)

Police Liaison – Julie Hayward JH, Dave Walker DW

Guests – Gareth Baker GB, Pete Coombes PC, Richard Lewis RL, Scott Maker SM

Apologies – Stuart Rogers SR, Terry Hamlin TH, Sean Takle ST, Katrina Watts KW, Jon Watts JW

 

  1. Apologies and matters arising

One Stream in Bristol – MP said they were only just starting to build up a fan base and need experience before proceeding with post-match activities.

ACTION SR – to drop them a line to say the door is open when they feel ready.

 

  1. Fans Funding Fans of the Future

The scheme had been set up of necessity between meetings.  The meeting formally adopted the scheme as published by unanimous vote.  To-date £916 had been donated and £539 issued to claimants.  The scheme was then extended to include U19s.

Motion proposed by Jon Darch and seconded by Miles Hendy

BCSCT will purchase a block of six U19 and two adult season cards in two rows of four or one row of eight in W15 (subject to ACTION below).  They will be available for use by all U15 and U19 families.  Additional adults will be asked to pay for upgrading their tickets.  Passed unanimously.

ACTION MP – to check the Club does not object

ACTION JD – to create application procedure for the eight season card places

 

  1. Visitors from Cardiff City – Richard Lewis and Gareth Bennett AM

Richard Lewis is a Cardiff City Season Ticket Holder and ex-Committee Member of Cardiff City Supporters Club.  He works for Gareth Bennett AM, elected politician at the Welsh Assembly at Cardiff Bay.  They sit together at the ground and have previously edited a fanzine together back in the 1990s.  Richard saw at first hand our fans being turned away from the Wetherspoons pubs, which were guarded by phalanxes of eager bouncers.  Richard and Gareth explained how they think they can help us next season by holding meetings with their Match Commander to ensure Bristol City fans get an allocated pub.

JH said there were heavy restraints this season due to misbehaviour at The Knight’s Templar last season.

MD pointed out that we have an away fans bar at Ashton Gate and deserve the same when we are away.

ACTION delayed – it was agreed to try to achieve an allocated pub in Cardiff next time we play.  Action would wait until the end of this season when the promotions are decided.  At the appropriate time, South Wales Licensees, South Wales Police and BCSCT would be involved.

 

  1. Legal and Police updates

Legal case – our legal team are considering the WMP defence and whether to proceed with the claim

Section 82 youths at risk – a group of younger supporters are being approached by the police about their behaviour.  Of these, eight have signed behaviour contracts.  There have been no smoke canisters recently.

 

  1. Meaningful consultation – ideas to forward to BSL and BCFC

A meeting had been arranged at Ashton Gate to decide the form consultation with fans should take in future.  Most fans realise that the Club has to make decisions but we want to be able to influence the process before final decisions are made.  The ten days’ silence after the Club’s public launch of Season Cards for 2018/19 was very unhelpful.  The Loyalty Scheme has been outlined but not finalised – we ask for proper consultation on that scheme.  We need to build a big bond between the fans and the Club – Huddersfield is a good example.

ACTION MP – to put forward BCSCT’s views on consultation as best he can with the Club

 

  1. Player-of-the-Year voting and presentations

MA said the timetable for voting was in place.  There would be an end-of-season celebration similar to last year but no details are yet available.

 

  1. Supporters Bar

New membership card and database scheme – it was agreed to proceed with Sport:80 and to buy a small scanner to use in the Supporters Bar.  A credit-type card alternative was discussed.  The bar capacity was confirmed as 100.  The pumps at the bar are unsatisfactory and the cost of draught beer was commented on.

ACTION JD – to approach Mark Kelly on all the above points.

 

  1. ‘Garland Or Me!’ – play at Tobacco Factory May 30 & 31 and June 1 & 2 with matinée.

 

  1. Atyeo Statue – a fourth and final set of 42 names was agreed (subject to the ACTION)

ACTION MA – to check with Pete Smith that our proposal would not clash with the Buy-a Brick scheme.

 

  1. Next meeting – Wednesday 2 May 2018

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *